Saturday 30 June 2012

Olympics 2012 – Greenwich Park


It’s easy to be cynical about the Olympics, especially when I cannot get the boxing tickets I applied for……but that’s a different story. The London Olympics is expected to deliver venues for 300 events in which 205 countries would participate. It needed to provide the largest logistical solution this country has ever faced in peace time while also delivering a lasting legacy for London. I have to admit that the construction of all the sites seems to be on time and despite the absence of my boxing tickets everything has gone well, so far. But where is the legacy? As impressive as this temporary equestrian stadium is in Greenwich Park it’s only legacy will be the damage to the turf once the show has left town.

I must admit that the creation of this temporary Olympic site is spectacular and it will look great on TV but it seems like a missed opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment